What to do if I have been terminated by my new employer for having a second job?

I have been terminated by my new employer for having a second job. I have an offer letter guaranteeing 6 months of compensation if my employment has ended either by resignation or termination. Can I be terminated and is the agreement valid?

Asked on June 6, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

1) Can you be terminated for having a second job--yes, unless you actually had an employment contract which prohibited that, such as by providing that you could only be terminated "for cause" or for certain other defined reasons.

2) The offer letter should be enforceable if it was given to you prior to you taking the employment; in that case, it should constitute a contract. In that event, it is enforceable, like any other contract, as per its plain terms. That means, for example, that if you are guaranteed 6 months compensation even if terminated, and it does not provide any exception to that which would apply in this specific case, you would seem to be owed the compensation. However, since contracts of all types depend on their specific language, you should bring the letter to an employment law attorney to review with you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.