What to do about harrassment by a debt collector?

I have been receiving calls from a company claiming to be a law firm, they are trying to collect a debt from 3 years ago, which I am not even sure is mine. I have asked them to send paperwork supporting their claim and they will not. They started calling my mother and harrassing her, they told her that I stole her SSN and info and took out a loan, which is crazy. I don’t even know my mother’s SSN. They told her yesterday that she could pay $400 or they would come to her house and arrest both me and her. I called this place and they told me I owe $1000 but they will settle for $582 or they will put a warrant out for my arrest. I was unaware that even if this is in fact my debt, that you could be arrested for non-payment.

Asked on September 7, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

What you are being subjected to is illegal and unfair debt collection practices under state and federal laws. Do not give any documentation or information that you have to the person or persons calling you from this debt collection company.

Rather, your option is to contact an attorney who practices in the area of consumer law to send a cease and desist letter against this company demanding no further contact with you. If the cease and desist letter is violated, then this attorney can advise you of your legal options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.