What do I do if I have been ordered by the court to serve 30 days in jail effective immediately for not attending a hearing that I was not informed of?

I was also ordered to pay fines and attorney’s fees, and temporary custody of my 3 children was given to my ex-husband. My Motion to Set Aside was denied on the grounds that the court believed I had sufficient notice. I have documentation proving that service was delayed. I received notice from opposing counsel and the court of the hearing a week after the hearing.

Asked on July 16, 2014 under Criminal Law, Utah


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You would be wise to retain a lawyer.  Your case andits porcedural history must be examined to determine what occurred, and whetherthe matter can be set back on for a hearing. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.