I have been misclassified numerous times as an indep cont. when I am an employee.

I want to advocate for others. Do orgs like this exist for nonattorneys and
can you provide counsel to me for 2-3 jobs?

Asked on June 16, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Report it to your state's department of labor and/or the federal department of labor. The IRS enforces tax law, and could take action vs. your employer for incorrectly reporting or paying taxs, but that won't help you get paid any amounts due you due to the misclassification. However, thw labor departments enforce the wage and hour laws and may be able to help you get compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.