What can I do if I may have committed insurance fraud and then had an accident?

I have been living in my current state for 3 years now but have an out-of-state driver’s license. Also, I drive a car that is registered in the state in which my license was issued; it is officially my mother’s car. I got into a fender-bender and my mother and I are getting sued through my insurance company for medical claims. I was appointed an attorney through my insurance company and she told me that I should have insurance through my state of residence. Is this true if the car is under my mother’s name? Someone else told me that I should at least tell the insurance company where the car resides. Is this true? Did I commit insurance fraud and, if so, what will happen? Will my insurance refuse to cover for the case?

Asked on October 30, 2013 under Accident Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written about you may have violated the terms of the policy since your were not a resident of the state that the car was listed as being at where your carrier could claim that you should have been honest as to your state of residence for premium costs. However the car is in the name of your mother which is a mitigating factor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.