If I have been estranged from my family for many years, is it possible to find out what is in my now deceased parents Wills?

Asked on September 24, 2013 under Estate Planning, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the issues that are present. As a Child you should receive a copy of your parent's Will as part of the notification procedures of their Will being submitted to probate regardless of what you inherit.  Now, if you think that it was not done - and that is an issue - then you can look at the Will.  Once it is filed it is a public record.  It shoud be filed in the county in which they resided at the time of their death.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.