What type of attorney do I need if I’ve been divorced for 8 years and my ex-wife received 2 houses but she is not paying for them on time and they are in my name?

She is not paying the houses on time and it has damaged my life in the following ways, credit, new marriage, jobs and financially. What can I do?

Asked on February 20, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The category of attorney that you will need is a family law attorney.  However, not all family law attorney's are alike.  Do not reach out to an attorney that specializes in agreed divorces as they may not have the experience that you need in an enforcement action.  You need an attorney that understands how to do enforcements and how to seek the relief that you are needing.  Arrange for a consultation with at least two attorneys so that you can get a feel of all the options available to you.  You also need to take a copy of your divorce decree with you as some of your options may be expanded or limited by the wording in your decree.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.