Wht to do if I have been charged with felony utility theft?

The power company found my meter tampered with but this happened 9 years ago. The amount claimed by the power company is way off and jacked to create a felony, over $1800. My court appointed lawyer has not challenged anything. The DA wants a felony conviction with maximun jail time. I have a felony record from 13+ years ago. I have 2 weeks to salvage this case.

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Given the circumstances that you are in and the felony that you are charged with, I suggest that you have a face to face meeting with your court appointed criminal defense attorney as to the best way to defend the charge or charges against you. If you are dissatisfied with your current legal representation, you might consider getting new legal counsel.

I suggest that you consider a possible plea bargain with the district attorney's office as to the charge or charges against you if you do not wish to try the case. You need to remember that the prosecution bears the burden of proving the claims against you beyond a reasonable doubt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.