If I have been called in for questioning with the police regarding the death of a minor for whom I bought alcohol, what should I say in questioning?

A man that I knew died and I had been with him the night before. I had bought alcohol for the event but I never saw him drink any. He was underage; I am not. The autopsy shows that the death was not alcohol related. He did go home with the alcohol I bought. Does this make me guilty of anything?

Asked on October 24, 2015 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

This is a serious situation since a death is involved. You need to consult with a criminal law attorney ASAP and under no circumstances should you speak with the police until you do. The fact is that the police are well trained interrogators. You could inadvertently say something to incriminate yourself or someone else regarding this incident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.