If I have been awarded a judgement against an out of state resident, how do I execute and discover what assets are available?

Asked on January 29, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You now need to apply for a sister state judgment in the county and state where the judgment debtor resides. Once obtained, you begin levying prodeedings on this debtor such as a bank levy or a wage garnishment.

Given the complicated nature of an out of state judgment, I suggest that you consult with a debt collection attorney practicing in the out of state country where the judgment debtor resides for help.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.