I have been assaulted by my ex is it worth suing for hospital fees?

I don’t know what kind of case if have against him. He as assaulted me over and over now he is constantly trying to get in contact with me. During one of his last assaults he struck me in the eye and now Im experiencing symptoms of future blindness. I want to seek medical attention but I was wondering if I should sue for my hospital fees?

Asked on February 28, 2019 under Personal Injury, Virginia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

You can sue for your medical bills , pain and suffering, and wage loss.
Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement. Pain and suffering is an amount in addition to the medical bills based on the medical reports which document your injuries. Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

Don't sue yet. Find out what is happening with your eye and your vision first. If it appears that you will suffer vision impairment in the future, you will have a potentially large claim for "pain and suffering"--for the life impairment and disabiltiy you will suffer in the future, for lost earning potential (if it will affect your ability to work or earn), as well as for projected future medical costs. Find out more about your condition, the impact on you, and the likely future medical costs, then take that information to a personal injury attorney to evalute a potential lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.