i have been asked to go to another store after working n14 years in my store. it would mean losing alot of commission money, and i dont want to go. can the company tsf me?

can I be transferred if I don’t want to be?

Asked on June 3, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that an employer can set the conditions of work much as it sees fit. This includes who to relocate and where to relocate them. That is unless there is a union agreement or employment contract that provides otherwise. Also, the employee's treatment must not constitute any form of legally actionable discrimination. So, in your case, you can either comply and accept your new assignment, complain and risk termination, or quit. While seemingly unfair those are your options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.