What to do if I have been asked to come into the police station for questioning in a case that I was a witness for but now possibly am a suspect in?

Do I have to go? What are my legal options? This is a matter of criminal law I do believe.

Asked on June 7, 2012 under Criminal Law, Michigan


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to be very careful with this and I would advise you not to do so without the advice of an attorney first. The reason being is that any questions you answer for the police can and will be used against you in court if you are a defendant in the case, and even if you will only be a witness. If you make incriminating statements to the police, these statements will damage you at trial. Speak with a criminal defense attorney prior to you answering questions to the police alone and without the advice of counsel.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.