What should I do if I worked for a company that is no longer in business but that did a

investigation on embezzlement and now I have been ask to meet a consultant?

I was called to a meeting with my former employer and a risk management consultant. Should I go without an attorney?

Asked on May 18, 2016 under Criminal Law, South Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You definitely should contact a criminal defense attorney in your area as to all of this. In fact, you should not meet or even discuss the situation with your ex-employer until you do. Also, you may get there only to find the police present at the meeting. And you should never discuss a crime in front of or with the authorities without legal counsel. You do not want to risk making potentially incriminationg statements to either your former employer, or the police if they are also there. And be aware, that if the police do want to question you, you are under no legal obligation to meet with them (even if they should later come to your home).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.