What should I do if I have been accused of selling drugs in the parking lot of the restaurant where I’m employed during my shift?

This is based on a complaint from a ” reliable” source so my district manager states.I have been threatened w immediate termination if another complaint is received. I asked when,where the alleged activity occurred. Who made allegations and to whom. He refused to disclose stating he didn’t have to unless he was formally investigating claim. There are cameras inside and outside that would clear me.I enjoyed my job, now I dread going in. My shift has had privileges taken. I have been deprived of defending myself,threatened with termination as if guilty. I can’t work here.

Asked on September 28, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1 Unless you have a written employment contract limiting the reasons or process for terminating you, you can be terminated at any time, for any reason--including complaints from "reliable" sources.
2 Your employer does not need to share any details about the complaint with you or give you a chance to defend yourself. 
3 Your employer may also take actions short of termination against you, like changing your shift, taking away privileges, demoting you, cutting hours, etc.
4 If you don't feel you can work there, you can, of course, quit or resign. Since you can't force your employer to change its behavior, that may be your only recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.