If I have asked my husband to leave the matrital home but he refuses, what can I do?

Asked on January 22, 2013 under Family Law, Maryland


Anthony Van Johnson / VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, L.L.C.

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You did not indicate whether a divorce action has been filed.  If it is not your intention to seek a divorce, another option would be to retain the services of an attorney to file a complaint for separate maintenance.  Once the complaint is filed, the attorney can request a temporary hearing, at which time a request can be made to grant you sole and exclusive use of the marital residence.  Upon granting your request, your husband would then have to move out of the residence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.