If I have asked a family member to stop contacting me but they have refused to, s this considered harassment?

I have asked a family member to stop contacting me, however since then, I have received 4 emails from them. They are not threatening but they are provoking. What are my legal rights?

Asked on May 9, 2011 under Criminal Law, Massachusetts


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

First, you should put your demand in writing.  Perhaps the best way to do this is through email.  Simply state that you demand that they stop contacting you, and that if they do you will consider it harassment.  This will create a record of your demand.  If they continue to contact you, keep the evidence of the contacts, either by way of emails, text messages, phone records, etc., and present it to the police.  This may constitute criminal harassment, and lead to their arrest, which should up the ante and get them to stop contacting you.  Another option that you might want to explore is whether a civil/family restraining order is available in your state.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.