If I have an unwanted guest who is not on the lease anI have already given them 30 days to leave but they haven’t done so, how doI proceed to have them removed?

This is a friend of my sister’s and he doesn’t contribute to the household; he is unemployed and was evicted from his residence earlier this year. It was never agreed upon that he would stay past the end of last month. I spoke with a leasing officer at my complex and she advised me to call 911 and/or call her for help and have the courtesy officer get involved. I want to know how to handle this matter immediately.

Asked on October 29, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Assuming the guest is only that--a guest, and not a tenant or subtenant--he can only stay with your permission, and you can revoke that permission at any time. You *should* be able to contact the police and have them make him leave, inasmuch as he is now a trespasser (someone in or on your property withhout any right to be there). However, sometimes the police refuse to get involved in situations like this, especially if the guest muddies the water by claiming he has paid something (the security deposit, for utilities, contributed to rent, etc.). If the police will not help you--and they are your first call to make--you will need to bring a legal action to get this person out; it will be either a summary dispossess (

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.