What to do if I have an outstanding judgement for a credit card?

I have an outstanding judgement for a credit card. I have a court date scheduled for this Thursday regarding a motion for periodic payments. I have little if any money to offer, trying to put funds together to file for bankruptcy protection. Yesterday I received a copy of a letter from the plaintiff to the court specifically stating that if I fail to appear, they request the court not issue an arrest warrant. So, why would they do that? What is their next course of action if I do not show as I have nothing more to offer but my story and public embarassment; I would rather not go.

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, New Hampshire


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that the best way to resolve the situation that you find yourself in concerning the judgment against you is to appear in court and try and work out some written agreement with the judgment creditor setting forth a monthly installment program that you can afford. Failure to appear could result in a bench warrant being issued against you.

I suspect that the judgment creditor may be planning some form of a wage garnishment and levy on your assets as a plan rather than wanting to enter into some monthly installment agreement with you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.