What to do about an open child support order?

I have an open child support order. The order is from 6 years ago and due to life curves, I have been on and off with payment. I have DNA proof that none of the 3 children I am paying for are mine. I don’t know how to go about getting the order stopped. I live in another state nowand will not be able to go back to attend the court hearings which really puts me at a disadvantage. If you could please give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Asked on September 12, 2012 under Family Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that if you personally cannot get to the actual presumed child support hearings that are scheduled against you that you consult with a family law attorney that practices in the county and state where the proceedings are scheduled and retain him or her to represent you in the matter. That would be the easiest way to resolve your inability to attend the hearing. Your attorney can attend for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.