How to determine the appropriate amount of child support?

I have an older daughter that I have joint legal physical custody of, therefore I neither pay nor receive child support. I have a younger daughter by a different woman whom I share legal but not physical custody, so I do pay child support for her. When the court figured my child support, my older daughter was not taken into account since she was not from that relationship and not a part of the motion. Was that a mistake? Should my expenses for my older child have been a consideration?

Asked on November 12, 2012 under Family Law, Connecticut


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country child support is determined from each parent's net monthly disposable income per an income and expense declaration with a comparison to the court guidelines for the given county. If you are not paying child support for the other child then the income and expense declaration that your presumably submitted was proper and the child support order in place is presumably correct.

I suggest that you consult further with a family law attorney about your matter for further assistance with specific questions that you may have.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.