What to do if water damage came from within my house and my insurer refuses to pay for it stating that it was an outside plumbing issue but the plumber said it was not?

The insurance company argued this after allegedly speaking with the plumber. The carpet has been wet and contaminated for over a week.

Asked on March 20, 2015 under Insurance Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that your insurer is improperly denying your claim--denying it when, based on the facts and the terms of your policy, they should pay--you could sue them for breach of contract (since an insurance policy is a contract). If you could prove in court that, given the facts and the terms of your policy they should have paid, you could recover money. Unfortunately, a lawsuit is only way to force them to pay if they refuse to do so voluntarily.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.