What can be done if I have an elderly grandma living in a home without electricity or heat and the landlord has been hounding her about the rent that she owes?

I really just need help right away. Nn one has answer and I hate the feeling of my grandmother being taken advantage of in my face and not being able to do anything about it.

Asked on December 1, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your grandmother is living in the conditions that you have described, it seems that you and other family members need to intervene and assist her financially with where she is living or have her move in with a family member.

The above suggestion is premised upon the assumption that your grandmother is willing to have someone assist her. I also suggest that you have a meeting with your her landlord about the situation she is living in. Presumably she pays for her own utilities. If she does not, it is illegal for the landlord to have shut them off due to a rental payment issue.

Your grandmother may be in a situation where she cannot take care of herself anymore without assistance of third parties.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.