What to do about an account for a magazine subscription which I want to terminate?

They say if I terminate the account I must pay a balance of $282. Other options include gifting the magazines to someone else or picking different magazines to have sent to me. I don’t want any magazines, nor do I want to gift them, and I certainly do not want to pay $282 for something I will never see. They say I “promised” to pay the balance if I changed my mind after making the initial purchase. I never signed anything. They say I said it and it was recorded. What can I do? Am I able to terminate this account without paying the money?

Asked on September 24, 2012 under General Practice, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you never submitted a signed subscription for the mgazine(s) that you are being charged for then it seems that under the laws of all states in this country the vendor legally cannot hold you accountable for the $282 amount that you have written about. I would write the vendor setting forth your position while keeping a copy of the letter for future use and need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.