If I made a Will 5 years ago but now I need to make changes to it, can I just re-do the 1 page I need or do I have to write a codicil?

The changes mainly have to do with who gets what now that a few people are no longer capable of handling things.

Asked on August 19, 2015 under Estate Planning, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You will need a codocil, which is an amendment to the Will in which you state the changes.  You will need to acknowledge your signature on the codocil in the presence of witnesses.
I,_____ your name amend my will dated ________ as follows

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.