If I have a valid student visa and I would like to have a US residency, can I do it?

How? If not, what would be the process to work outside campus legally?

Asked on November 8, 2015 under Immigration Law, Massachusetts


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You cannot just get US residency because you are a student; you have to be sponsored for permanent residence either by an employer on the basis of a valid offer of employment or by a qualifying family member (parent, child, sibling, spouse/fiance).  Once you have one of those bases, then you can apply for the permanent residence through either employment-based or family-based process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.