If I have a tenant living in my home that I am evicting, if he is now stealing from me what can I do?

Asked on January 12, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can contact the police and file criminal charges for larceny.  Larceny is the trespassory taking and carrying away of the personal property of another with the intent to permanently deprive.

In addition to the criminal case, you can file a separate civil case (lawsuit) for conversion.  Conversion is any unauthorized act which deprives an owner of his/her property permanently or for an indefinite time.

Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in a lawsuit) for conversion would be a forced sale, which is the value of the items that were stolen.

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

As soon as the tenant is out of your unit, then you can bring a small claims court action for the fair market value of the items stolen. I suggest that you ask the tenant for the return of the items and in the mean time safeguard your possessions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.