What to do about a guest of a tenant that I am evicting?

My tenant has a boyfriend that has not been living there but stays as a guest. However, now that her 30 day notice is over I went to file the court papers and the people at the court told me that I can’t ask her guest to leave; he has a right to live there because I let him stay as a guest? Can I kick him out or do I have to let him stay? He has not been there 30 days. She has only been there 2 months.

Asked on January 11, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Oregon


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The guest is not a tenant for the purpose of the Oregon Revised Statutes 90.100(45)(c).  This section specifically excludes guests from the definition of "tenant."  However, Section 105.115, which controls evictions, does not limit evictions to tenants-- but also encompasses persons who are in possession of a dwelling.  You can find copies of these statutes on your state's website. If the guest is determined to stay after you have evicted the tenant, then he needs to sign and new lease and may a payment.  If he refuses, then you would need to file suit to evict him as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.