Of I have a temporary protected status and have been in the US for 20 years, how can I obtain a waiver to pay in-state tuition at a university?

Asked on July 19, 2012 under Immigration Law, Georgia


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to find out if you qualify as an in-state resident for in-state tuition and, once you do, you can find out what you need to do in order to demonstrate that you qualify.  There is really no waiver as such that would enable you to do that that I know of.  However, if you can present documentation of your lawful presence in the US to the university, that may be all that you need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.