If I have a stepson who was convicted of a marijuana possession, is there a way to get his records cleared?

He served probation instead of going to jail. It’s completed now but he is having trouble getting a job due to the background checks.

Asked on August 1, 2015 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your son may be able to apply for an order of non-disclosure.  It won't wipe the conviction off of his record, but it will keep employers from seeing it, and thereby impacting his employment.  Not all cases are eligible for non-disclosure.  To know whether or not your step son is actually eligible, he needs to take his paperwork to an attorney to review it to see if he is eligible. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.