What to do if I have a step-grandmother that is 100 years old, incompetent and is being taken advantage of by the hired help?

I have been her power of attorney and executer for a number of years. The hired help who take care of her have taken over these tasks and have recently changed the locks on her house so I cannot even see her.

Asked on November 21, 2013 under Estate Planning, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you have the power of attorney, the "hired help" cannot legally exclude you if you have a broad-based POA; if you have  broad POA, you most likely can also fire these people if you like. You are advised to speak with an elder law attorney who can review the POA with you to determine your exact rights and power, and also advise you as to how to handle your grandmother seeming to be taken advantage of--it may be that a lawsuit, or even criminal charges, against these people is appropriate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.