What to do about a squatter’s stuff?

I have a squatter occupying a apartment in a triplex building. He is only occupying 1 unit. I served him with a letter to remove himself and currently am filing papers for legal eviction. The squatter has tons of trash and old personal belongings stored in the “basement” of the building that he is also not to occupy. Can I remove this trash and belongings since he has no right to that area of the building either?

Asked on September 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you served this "squatter" with a thirty (30) day notice to vacate your unit already, I would consult with a landlord tenant attorney about your situation and possibly consult with law enforcement as to the best way to get the "squatter" off your property.

If the "squatter" does not vacate the unit in thirty (30) days after service of the notice to vacate, then you will need to file an unlawful detainer action against him.

However, if the "squatter" is a true "squatter" and not a tenant, then you may be able to get him arrested immediately for being a trespasser. Once he is off the premises for good, then you remove the debris and possessions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.