If I received a speeding ticket but on the ticket the officer put the wrong gender and the wrong car, does this make the ticket invalid and something I can plead not guilty to?

If so, what should I do? What can I do?

Asked on November 2, 2015 under General Practice, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It doesn't automatically invalidate the ticket, in the sense that you must still show up to court. But when you do show up, speak to the prosecutor and explain that 1) you are not the listed gender and 2) that's not your car, so you are not sure what the ticket is about. There is a good chance that the prosecutor will elect to dismiss, or at least offer you some very favorable deal. Bring with you your car registration, to prove it's the wrong car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.