If I have a small auto repair business, what options do I have if a customer does not pay the $2,000 that they owe but they have possession of their car?

We did the work 9 months ago. The total was $2713, most of which were parts. She paid $200 at the time of service and then $400 about 2 months later. Since then nothing she hasn’t even answer our calls. We are out $1993 for parts.

Asked on April 10, 2017 under Business Law, Montana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Assuming that you have proof of you claim, you can bring suit in small claims court (you are withinh your stae;s dollar limit). Assuming that you prevail, you will be awarded a judgment. You can then enforce it by garishishin their wages, seizing their bank accounts or filing a lien against their property.

S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the customer in small claims court for breach of contract/account stated.
You can enforce a court judgment against the customer with a wage garnishment.  In addition to the amount you are owed, you can recover court costs which include the court filing fee and process server fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.