If I have a signed court order of probation that did not include an interlock device as part of my probation, do I have to get one now?

I would like to know if it’s legal to make me get an interlock when there is nothing on my court paperwork signed by a judge saying I had to for my probation?

Asked on May 22, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Typically a judge has to order a interlock device be placed on your vehicle before the probation department or third party places the device on. The probation department may recommend a interlock device be placed, but the judge will ultimately have the final word. Review your order from the court and if it's not present, yet placed, then this issue should be brought back before the judge. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.