How to get a structured settlement paid out early?

I have a settlement from when I was younger and payments were set up for when I was 18, 21 and 25. My next payment is when I’m 25 which is 2 years away. Currently I’m in need of financial relief because my husband had surgery and is unable to work and I have two small children and it would help us until he is able to work or get approved for benefits. Is there a way to petition the judge to release the money that’s being held by the insurance company?

Asked on January 17, 2013 under Personal Injury, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, the terms of the settlement will govern if it can be accessed sooner that originally structured.  Some times court intervention may also be an option.  Many times people sell their settlement early.  It is legal but it will cost you a portion.  Please red the terms and call the company and speak with a representative.  They should be able to tell you about early access.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.