If I have a sentencing hearing at court coming up soon, is there anything I can do to push back the sentencing in order to help my wife battle an illness?

Technically I’m still on bail but agreed to 3 years. Does anyone have any legal advise as far as being able to postpon my sentencing due to my wife’s current medical condition. She was recently diagnosed with a terminal illness.

Asked on January 6, 2013 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written I suggest that you consult with the court clerk to postpone the hearing date coming up given the circumstances that you have written about. If the court clerk will not do such, you will need to file a motion to do such. If you do not have a criminal defense attorney, I suggest that you retain one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.