I have a rental in Idaho. The Tenant is paid to take care of 3 children under 2 1/2 yrs in the unit. Are there liability issues for the landlord?

I don’t know if she is approved for Daycare. I live in California. I have personal umbrella insurance and Landlord policy.

Asked on June 12, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Idaho


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The insurance is a good start, although either or both policies might have specific exclusions for any kind of business activity, and there's a good chance that would lead to a denied claim if something happened to one of the children.  You have a real concern here, and it would be worth renting some of an Idaho attorney's time for a telephone consulation.  It may be that you can get yourself enough protection with written lease language.

Mistakes in real estate can easily get to be more expensive than the legal fees it would have taken to avoid the mistake in the first place!  One place to find a qualified lawyer is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.