What to do if a former partner took intimate photos/videos of me and now I’m concerned that they’re going to distribute or share them since we have separated?

Is there any sort of legal action that I can take to remove them from his possession and have them destroyed in order to ensure they will not be shared? The former partner is active military if that makes any difference.

Asked on August 3, 2015 under Personal Injury, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot do anything in advance of his sharing or publishing them: assuming, as your question seems to imply, that he took them with your consent in the first place, then they are legally his property and you cannot force him to destroy, throw away, etc. them. If he uses them improperly, you may have rights to then receive compensation or see the pictures, etc. destroyed, but unless and until he does something wrong with them, he may keep them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.