How do I get false a criminal charge off of my record?

I had a background check for employment done and it came back with criminal possession in the 7th about 5 years ago. Now I went that same day to that court where that charge was drawn from. They gave me a Official Disposition Slip with there seal on it and everthing that states, “Please be advised that there was a record search done on the above individual and there is no court record found” How do I remove this charge with the official disposition slip? Do I send the only copy I have to DCJS ( Department of Criminal Justice Services) or how do I go about handling this issue?

Asked on January 8, 2013 under Criminal Law, New York


Richard Southard / Law Office of Richard Southard

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes.  You should contact Department of Criminal Justice Services in Albany and let them know of the error.  You can send them a copy of the Certificate of Disposition and they should be able to make the necessary corrections.

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and deal with the matter that you have written about is to contact the background company that showed the erroneous mention of a criminal charge as to you with documentation showing such and demand that such be removed. If its representative refuses, then you need to consult with a consumer law attorney to discuss what your legal options are.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.