If I have a POA for an inmate, can I file a small claims lawsuit on his behalf?

He is looking to collect he last paycheck and needs his W2 form, however the business has closed.

Asked on August 12, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the POA gives you this authority--the authority to take  legal action on his behalf--then yes, you could sue on his behalf for the unpaid wages. A general POA without limitation would most likely give  you this authority.

If the business has closed, if it was a corporation or LLC, it's most likely not worth suing--you could win, but still not collect anything, because there is no business left to pay. If the business was a sole proprietorship, however, you could sue the owner personally.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.