If Ihave a order protection out on my boyfriend, can I get him offthe lease?

Asked on November 30, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have a presumed restraining order issued and in effect as to your boyfriend and if he is on the lease for the unit that you are renting as a tenant where he signed the lease, the only way you can have him released from the rental is if the landlord is willing to sign a written document releasing him from any further obligations under the lease and your boyfriend signs the release as well.

You need to realize that your issues with your boyfriend are completely unrelated to your and his obligations under the presumed written lease that you have with the landlord. The landlord is under no obligation to release your boyfriend from being obligated under the lease.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.