What can I do to fight a ticket if I have a monthly unlimited transportation pass and I got a ticketbut did not swipe the card between changing buses?

I was transferring from one bus to another, and when I entered the bus I found out that I had to do it on the bus stop. Bus driver told me that I had to get off on the next stop and swipe the card and get the ticket. But when I got off, an official gave me the fine by not having the ticket. But I had an unlimited pass. Adjudication Bureau did not except this excuse either.

Asked on October 26, 2011 under Criminal Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

There are two different issues here:

1) Under the terms of the monthly unlimited pass, do you have to have the ticket prior to getting on the bus when transferring? That is, even if it seems silly or unfair, are you required to do things the way the bus official did? If so, then the fine is proper--you did not comply with the terms, even if innocently.

2) To fight the matter, if you've exhausted internal reviews (e.g the Adjudication Bureau), you'd need to go to court and file a legal action. If it should be the case that you are legally in the right, it's still hard to imagine that it would be worth the cost, time, or effort to go to court for this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.