If a contract is changed after you have signed it, does that make it void?

I have a membership with massage company that I want to get out of. I have a signed copy of the contract and all of the term agreement spaces are left blank; I did believe I could cancel at any time because of this. Today I was told by a massage company employee that they have a signed contract with 12 month terms. This means that someone filled in the term spaces after I signed the contract, since my copy is blank. Isn’t changing the terms after I’ve signed without my knowledge, fraud? Shouldn’t this void the contract?

Asked on September 4, 2012 under General Practice, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is very difficult to give any guidance on the matter with out reading the contract in question.  Generally speaking, a contract can not be changed "unilaterally" - by one party - and can not be changed after signing.  What worries me here is how the court would interpret the blanks in your document.  That is why the entire document needs to be read and the intent of the parties determined.  If you wish to have the document declared null and void then you need to ask a court to do so.  You can not do that yourself.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.