What can I do if I have a manager and a new supervisor who have both learned of my harassment lawsuit from a former employer and are now retaliating against me?

I’ve been subjected to bullying, set up for work related failure, been inappropriately reprimanded and demeaned in front of my colleagues, inappropriately talked, been lied about to HR concerning actions in which I did not do, etc. I complained to my manager, who I mistakingly thought would be on my side, and she did nothing to stop these actions from my supervisor. She completely swept it under the rug and my supervisor retaliated against me for reporting her. Are there any laws to protect me? What steps do I need to take? I’ve already been to HR.

Asked on September 20, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The law prevents an employer from retaliating against an employee for filing certain kinds of discrimination or harasment lawsuits and, if an employee does, the employee may be able to receive compensation. Normally, that applies to situations where employer A is harassing you over a harassment claim brought against employer A itself, not a claim or lawsuit vs. different employer B. However, depending on the exact facts, it is possible that you would be protected in this case. Because the specific, detailed facts are critical to determining your rights, you are advised to consult in person with an employment law attorney to see if you do have a viable claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.