What to do if I have a life insurance check can’t cash because it was left to “the estate of”?

How do I go about cashing it. I already am executor of the Will but I’m finding out that it is no good for his estate.

Asked on October 17, 2014 under Estate Planning, Texas


Christine Socrates / Christine Sabio Socrates, Atty at Law

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you are named executor in a person's will.  You will need to probate the will and open an estate in order to cash that check.  You may be able to apply for a release of assets depending on the amount of the check and the other assets if any.  I would be happy to assist you in this matter if you would like.  You can contact me  at your convenience.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.