What to do if I have a legal contract with a gym and have simply requested a copy of it but am getting the runaround?

After the first 2 attempts with no success I made a third trip after being told it would be ready anytime after 10:00 a.m. I went in after 11:00 a.m. and found that he deactivated my card.

Asked on April 16, 2014 under General Practice, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There is not necessarily a right to get a copy of the contract (unless there was some promise, agreement, etc. that you would). However, whatever its terms were, they have to be honored, which means that if you have paid for access, they cannot simply deactivate your card. If they breach their obligations, such as by denying you use, services, or access which you have paid for, that would be a material (or important) breach which would in turn let you out of your obligations (e.g. to pay); alternatively, you could sue them for damages (compensation), such as to get back any dues you've already paid, but for which you're not getting value (because they deactivated your card) or to force them to honor their obligations (such as to give you access).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.