If I have a judgment against my former,but now deceased landlord, how do I collect?

I am owed my security deposit. I do not know who is handling the building or the estate. I am not sure who owns the building but all my rent checks were made out to this man. I contracted with a collection company who were unable to locate any personal bank accounts (they could not seize his car or property). Is there any way to enforce the judgment and get my money returned?

Asked on March 29, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You need to go to the county courthouse that handles probate and see if his estate has been probated. If the probate information is available, there should be some public documents you can view for figuring out who filed and the address and contact information. If the probate hasn't closed (estate hasn't been fully settled), then you need to file in court. You can also sue the estate and then take the judgment if you get one to then seize items from the estate or place liens on property. Not sure why the collection agency could not offer the information that you need a judgment to seize property and place liens.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.