If I have a judgement from the result of an auto accident, can it be discharged in bankruptcy?

I have no other debts and I only draw SSD. Because of this judgement my driver’s license is now suspended. If I file bankruptycy would this remove the judgement; its for $200,000.?

Asked on September 21, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Mississippi


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

This is a huge judgment against you for an automobile accident. If your insurance did not cover it, then that would be your personal debt and yes, you might be able to have it discharged in bankruptcy. Consider consulting with a few bankruptcy attorneys in your state or at least see if your state has pro bono services available to give you some initial insight whether it would be advisable to file bankruptcy. If your driver's license is suspended, it may not be just because of the judgment but also because the actions that led to the accident. The discharge in bankruptcy may or may not get rid of your suspension. Verify with the Department of Motor Vehicles in your state why your license is suspended and get a full report.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.