Who do I contact if I have a judgement against me that was filed and won in a state in which I no longer live?

I have had my wages garnished for the judgement. I want to pay off this judgment but dont know who to contact. Also, is there anything I can do to lessen the blow to my credit report?

Asked on September 13, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The blow to your credit has already been taken but once you do get the matter taken care of you can get an agreement vacating the judgement or satisfying the judgement (I prefer the former).  If you were not properly served with the paperwork for the court proceeding then you can make a motion to vacate the judgement.  You may need an affidavit of meritorious defense (which states basically that if you were given proper notice you could have fought and maybe won).  If you just want to settle the matter then you need to contact the creditor directly.  That information should be in the documents received by your employer and surely in the court documents in the other state.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.